Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:40:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        imp@village.org, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New security policy for FreeBSD 3.x

On 22 Nov, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> [Cross-post to -arch is ridiculous, follow-up to -chat]
>
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:06:32 PST, opentrax@email.com wrote:
>
>> Thank you for taking the time to explain this Warner.
>> The original advisory was not as clear. However, I still fell
>> a bit confused.
>
> Probably because you haven't read
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html .
>
> Once you've read it, you're welcome to send patches for improving it.
> In fact, the documentation project folks are so fanatical that they'll
> usually accept contributions that are not in patch format and work your
> stuff into the files manually.
>
> But keep in mind that no matter how good you help us make the
> documentation, there'll always be some idiot out there who refuses to
> read it.

I appoligize for not being clear on this, but 'cutting-edge'
has never been my intent. Nor, do I see this as an item for
inclusion in the handbook(but I should take that up with
'doc'). :-)

Security by most measure sits in it's own space. That is,
if a security breach exists, then it must be dealt with
immediately (if not sooner). However, on that same line,
the change in policy, as this current one is, tends toward
NO change. That is, the policy is "we're interest in
the change, but not at the cost of delaying a change
that must be expedited". So in this case, we error on
the side of caution.

Discontinuing the rant, the website needs better organization,
but again I know I must take this up with 'docs'.

				Thanks again,
				Jessem.