Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2018 16:33:07 -0500
From:      John Lyon <johnllyon@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for cheap PCI-E network adapter ?

Work and work well are two very different things. :-)

What's your use case?  If this is for a home box, developer box, or
something that is not "enterprise production," then I wouldn't worry about
RealTek cards bought in the last 5 years.  Their 10/100 cards from 15 years
ago were crap, which is how they earned their bad reputation.  However, the
continuing dismissiveness towards RealTek is mostly undeserved in my
opinion.

The issue currently is the state of the drivers themselves and not the
cards.  For example, the drivers themselves that FreeBSD includes have
problems.  However, you can always download the source code to the latest
FreeBSD drivers from the RealTek website and all of the "bugs" disappear.
For example, using the included FreeBSD drivers on my firewall/router
(which uses RealTek NICS), I would get mysterious watchdog timeouts in my
system logs and eventual disconnects from the WAN.  The only way to
reconnect was to reboot.  The disconnect would occure every few days to a
week when processing more than ~200 Mb of sustained traffic.  After
downloading, compiling, and installing the latest drivers available on the
RealTek website, my problems disappeared. I can now route at sustained
gigabit speeds.  But this is true of any piece of hardware - you use old or
bad drivers and you get bad results.  You use newer drivers with the bugs
worked out, you get better performance.  A large part of the reason why
Intel NICS are so beloved and perform so admirably is that the quality of
their drivers is much higher.

That said, if you're cost sensitive, buy your NICS used.  There are lots of
suppliers that take decommissioned servers and sell them for parts.  The
NICS might not be new, they might not even be manufactured anymore, but
they are perfectly serviceable.   Last time I checked, the going rate for
used Intel NICS was something like $10 per port + shipping.  I think used
Broadcom NICS were similar in pricing.  Both have good driver support for
both FreeBSD and Linux out of the box, so you don't have to worry about the
hassle of downloading, compiling, and installing newer drivers from source.

John L. Lyon
PGP Key Available At:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skmedtscs0tgex7/02150BFE.asc