Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:14:51 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:

>=20
> And network cards:
> # Up a bit our intel cards parameters
> hw.em.txd=3D4096
> hw.em.rxd=3D4096
> hw.em.tx_int_delay=3D512
> hw.em.rx_int_delay=3D512
> hw.em.tx_abs_int_delay=3D1024
> hw.em.rx_abs_int_delay=3D1024
>=20

I am curious why we need to manually set up these values. Especially the =
txd/rxd -- here are few controllers supported by the em driver that =
can't handle 4096 descriptors and the choice could really be made at =
driver attach time.. That could also permit different em interfaces in =
the system (using different chips) to have different settings.

My belief is the auto tuning should set things up for maximum =
performance, given the hardware and if someone really needs smaller =
queues they could just use the tunables.=20

Are there drawbacks?

Daniel=