Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 12:18:33 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        fredrik@speechcraft.com
Cc:        jmallett@xMach.org, dscheidt@tumbolia.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

> Then how much will OSX then benifit the Unix community as a whole? I

The underlying "core" parts, e.g. nothing the typical desktop end-user
will probably ever see but a lot of what makes it a powerful
networking solution and "classic Unix environment" as well.

> but isn't gradual change a la KDE better than just throwing the
> standards aside and rolling your own? Both QT and GTK allow for good
> component-based programming similar to the MFC, wouldn't an
> expansion of the stuff previously written have benefitted both Apple
> and the rest of the Unix industry? Is there a way to "re-marry" the
> two?

Again, Apple is trying to fight a much bigger battle.  I think you
should spend some time getting better acquainted with Apple's rather
unique user base and mindset.

It's also the case that in many respects, it's actually the KDE folks
who "threw standards aside" and came up with a new programming model.
Apple can't afford to do that, and a lot of their Carbon and Cocoa
framework is all about providing bridgework for their classic OS 9
customer base.  If you write an application to the Carbon API, for
example, it will run on both older and newer Macs.  That's extremely
important to the many ISVs who target the Apple market since they
don't want to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into producing
software for just one segment of the Apple community.  The programming
frameworks provided by Apple also make anything GTK and QT provide
look like tinkertoys by comparison.  Just spend about an hour with
their AppBuilder stuff sometime and see how you can connect stuff
graphically to ObjectiveC classes.  Very powerful.

- Jordan