Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:08:41 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata hangs with sis5513 controller

At 20/01/2003, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>I can't really help, but I have got one comment to make.
>It is not a SiS 5513 controller you have.  It is some other, more
>modern, SiS controller that is (supposed to be) backwards compatible
>with the original 5513. If you did manage to get FreeBSD installed, it
>would probably report the controller as a SiS 5591 (which is an early
>5513 derivative, and which FreeBSD reports all the 5513 derivatives
>as.)
>
>If you get a panic from FreeBSD it might be useful to know the exact
>panic message.  (I won't be helped, but one of the kernel hackers might
>get an idea.)

I'll post tomorrow the "last words" from the booting panics of the
5.0-RELEASE .
The 4.7-STABLE hangs in a timeout trying to read the hd. No panics, but it
stops there forever ...

Thanks for your kind reply.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco