Date:        Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:02:43 -0600
From:      "Jeff Lush" <jeff@nerdpower.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PicoBSD Network version and NAT

Hello all,

I am trying to setup a small test NAT/firewall box using the networking
version of PicoBSD 0.41. I believe I am most of the way there:

- I have setup both inside and outside NICs correctly
- I have enabled natd and firewall in the rc.conf file
- I have added the "NATD 8668/divert" entry to the services file
- I have built the following test rc.firewall file:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ep0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

When the rc.firewall script loads or I try to manually enter the commands I
get:

00000 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ep0
/sbin/ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid Argument

After this error, that's it, no NAT. I don't understand error. Most of my
configuration came from the man pages on NATD and IPFW from the FreeBSD
website. I am using the kernel that came with 0.41-Network file. The man
page for NATD suggests adding two lines to the kernel config file:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT

I haven't tried this yet as rebuilding the kernel for PicoBSD seems a little
daunting. As well, looking through the kernel config file for FreeBSD 3.2,
there is no listing of this kind at all. Are these entries no longer
required when building a new kernel?

Anyway, I am new at this, but learning all the time. If someone can shed
some light on my problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff Lush