Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:36:48 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Clark Gaylord <gaylord@gaylord.async.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New aout-to-elf build failures.

In message <199812311924.OAA39518@gaylord.async.vt.edu> Clark Gaylord writes:
: I have a stupid question: how do I know if I have an elf box?

file /bin/ls.  If it says ELF blah blah blah, then it is highly likely
that your system is ELF.

: Can I transliterate the aout stuff and get it to work?  (Maybe this
: was supposed to have been done by aout-to-elf, but my numerous
: fuddlings probably fubar'ed it.)

No.

: Part of my problem is that I really don't understand a.out vs elf.
: Is there something I can read to better describe the different
: formats and how libraries are located (e.g., why do I need to have
: blah.k when I now have blah.l?)

There is information about this in the handbook.  I know there is a
slightly revisionist history of object formats in it written by me...

Warner