Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 00:34:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        ulf@Alameda.net, mike@sentex.net, fpollet@relay.perceval.net, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS T2P4 and Adaptec 2940AU

> I believe it's specifically the 2940UA -- not the 'A' -- that is the
> culprit here. It's a lower grade version of the 2940/2940U . Get one
> without the 'A' and the problems should go away...  A lot of stores around
> here are selling the 2940UA instead of the 2940U, often for the latter's
> price. I know many people who've been ripped off with the 2940UA. Of
> course lots of dealers just don't know the difference. Search the archives
> for an explanation of the differenced between the two controllers (aside
> from the boot utilities).

It is not totally the ``dealers, distributors or OEM's'' fault here.
Adaptec simply stopped production of the 2940U, and shipped 2940AU's
using the exact same order part number, boxing, etc... and gave
no notification to the channel!  Nor did they cut the PRICE!  I have
a 10 pack OEM box labeled ``2940U'' with the same part number I have
been ordering for 6 months that has 2940AU's in it, and the serial
numbers match between the box and the boards.  THIS IS AN ADAPTEC
RIP OFF AND MISSREPRESENTATION, and if it was not so painful and expensive
to file lawsuits I'd have been all over them like a wet suite last
week.

The ``official'' distributors of Adaptec products (at least 3
of the big boys, Ingram, Tech Data, and Globbelle) can't even
tell me if I will get 2940U's or 2940AU's if I order product.

The OEM sells rep I talked with at Adaptec could NOT give me
a different Adaptec order number for ordering 2940U's vs 2940AU's,
but she assured me I should be able to get 2940U's.  I had to go
to the grey market to pick up an OEM 10 pack, and only ordered
them after I made the guy open the box and read all the numbers
off the card and chips to me.  I could not find anyone in the
``official channel'' that could or would do this.

I had my tech go dig through the web site and the only reference to the
2940AU he could find was in a new product called the Complete SCSI kit.

The person I dealt with in Adaptec tech support said as far as they are
concerned the 2940U doesn't even exist anymore, though someone here on
the list has contridictory statements to that, and Adaptec sells
contridicted it as well (though they confirmed only the 2940AU is
being manufactured now).

They only reasonable and economical action I can take at this time
is to simply place adaptec on my black listed suppliers and use an
alternate product.  (Heck I sell NCR 53C810's 10:1 over Adaptecs
2940U anyway.)

The shame is that the 2940U has some benifits, namely an outstanding
FreeBSD driver, more complete device interoperbility, and Justin Gibbs
who has been able to provide top notch FreeBSD support.

*sigh*
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD