Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:02:54 -0800
From:      D Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Focus on the solution

On Feb 25, 1999 @ around 4:42 GMT, "Don Wilde" wrote:
> Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> > Perhaps it's time to formally organize a task force of sorts to do
> > nothing but work on the solution, using the problem as a reference
> > point.  Or am I just reiterating an old idea?
> >
> Hi, Darren -
>         This IS our task force, this list. Sometimes we don't all go in the
> same direction, and sometimes our FreeBSD Project Perl Scripts get
> crabby when some task force members do more finger-pointing than
> generating either quality code or suggestions for real advocacy. Any
> Internet mailing list occasionally gets clogged with this kind of noise.
> We have actually gotten several good projects off the ground through
> this list. There are several thriving new e-zines, "Install-a-thons" and
> documentation projects going on. Articles are being written, books
> prepared, etc. FreeBSD mentions in the mainstream press have gone up
> dramatically since this list started. Jordan Hubbard, the senior core
> member and Fearless Leader of the FreeBSD Project, is actually trying to
> hire a full-time advocacy general to supplement our individual volunteer
> efforts. (Dare I say it: FreeBSD Advocacy General...
> Nooooooo.......!!!!)

I knew from common sense (and asking someone) that this list's entire
purpose is to mainstream FreeBSD.  But in my 5 months or so of
reading I had seen only a small amount of mention of any advocacy
going on.  Or perhaps I'm blind (wouldn't surprise me).  OTOH, I'm
well aware of how well Linux is doing in comparision, and how much
certain persons hate the GPL...

>> I don't have FreeBSD installed yet (not enough disk space and I
>> need Windows), but I'll help out any way I can.
>>
>Buy another disk and dual-boot? Warning, this stuff is addictive!!! ;-D

That's what I plan on doing, but my supplies of couch-change and
magic beans have long since dried up and all my disposable income
is going into paying down the loan I took out to build myself a new
computer and to feed the US$60/month Internet monkey on my back. :-)

BOT, just what advocacy work is there for a Unix-familiar non-user
to do?

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available