Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 01:54:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dsiliceo@adam.es (Domingo Siliceo)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations, please.

> Hi all,
> I've been playing with FreeBSD for three or four months and having a lot
> of fun.
>
> Now I'm thinking about to become a (little) ISP. I have a 486 DX/4 100
> with 32Mb,  1Gb hard disk and one modem (planning to increase this number
> to three or four). Nothing more.

I am part of a co-op group that uses a 486DX2/66 with 16MB, 203MB hard disk
and a multiport serial card to route between 10 dial up slip lines and a 56K
FRAD.  It works like a champ and has been for several years.

It is a minimal service, providing nothing more than routing of packets
and DNS services for the sixteen class C addresses in our CIDR block.  It
runs gated as a routing protocol, and you should probably become familiar
with that as well.

> What do you think I need (experience aside 8-)? Of course, my plan is to
> use FreeBSD 2.1.0 as the basis.

Get yourself upgraded to FreeBSD 2.1.5, then find out how to use CTM and
get yourself updated to the changes in the -stable branch that have
occured since 2.1.5.

FreeBSD 2.1.0 will work for you, but you'll be in a lot better shape if
you run the latest release.

> Thanks beforehand for your time.

Ohhh... and don't skimp on modems, cheap modems mean dropped carrier,
and that means aggrivated clients.