Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 20:43:42 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Foxfair Hu <foxfair@news.ks.edu.tw>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: doc/<lang>/books/*, doc/<lang>/articles/*, and docs.freebsd.org

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 01:45:05PM +0800, Foxfair Hu wrote:
>     I had discussed the same structure like you thought in
>   our Chinese documentation project few days ago , and
>   we all agreed it is a good thought. But I am just very surprised
>   at the same idea invoked by another one  after few weeks.
>   Which means this structure is really useful and it should be done
>   ASAP.

OK.  Response to this idea has been positive, so I'll start moving things
to it.

>   If no objection, I'll reorganize the doc/zh structure, move  the
>   existent (big5) FAQ into doc/zh/big5, and introduce a whole
>   new version of FAQ into doc/zh/gb2312, which is encoded by
>   GB2312(Simplified Chinese Character). I had finished to test it
>   and create the files of both HTML and latin1 formats, looks fine
>   and perfect. The GB2312 version of Chinese FAQ was translated by
>   ningzhao@163.net. Because of local culture and encoding problem
>   , we need to divide these two versions of Chinese FAQ(even the
>   readers are all Chinese people) into different directory,  I hope it
>   won't confuse anyone in the future.

OK.  Can you hold off on this for a bit.  I've got an incoming French
Handbook to finish looking at and import, and the freeze for 3.2 happening
in a few days.

This freeze doesn't directly affect the FDP, but I'm wary of big changes
happening around now in case it causes more hassle for the release
engineer.

What'll do is:

  1. Sort out some changes to the French Handbook, and get them back to
     to the French Doc. Proj. for review.

  2. Move doc/en/handbook to doc/en/books/handbook

  3. Move doc/en/tutorials/docproj-primer to doc/en/books/FDP-primer

Then we can sort out the translations, including the Chinese ones.

OK?

    There's some milk in the fridge about to go off. . . and there it goes.