Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:02:16 +0900
From:      Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, "freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lang/perl5.36: update procedure written in UPDATING is not enough

Tatsuki Makino wrote on 2023/10/23 08:03:
> Now assume two imaginary flags.
> One flag is to forcefully update, and the other is to use a mechanism to allow a restart in case of failure.
> If -f is used there, all of them will be flagged to be forced to update and to be restartable in case of failure. -R can be used.
> If -f is used there, it is already determined to force update, so it only activates the feature that allows restart on failure.
> The above two flags change depending on the -f option and the way the port to be updated is given.

I thought this was the case, but when I actually tried it, everything I wrote here was a lie :)
-f behaves differently enough to tell you not to use it :)

This -f also propagates to all *_DEPENDS ports and attempts to rebuild them.
Therefore, it should not be used in perl updates.

The only way to use -R to restart from a failure in the middle of the process seems to be to use -r.
Otherwise, reassign and run what was written out to portmasterfail.txt

However, the only way to force a rebuild for -a is to use -f.
The fact that the target is -a hides this inconvenient behavior.

Regards.