Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:01:00 -0500
From:      "Johnson, Bob" <BJohnson@gainesville.usda.ufl.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'nik@freebsd.org'" <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw, multiple ISDN TAs, munging routes automagically

>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:34:55 +0000
>From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
>Subject: ipfw, multiple ISDN TAs, munging routes automagically
>
>Hi folks,
>
>I *think* ipfw can do this.  But before it to a client, can someone
>confirm for me whether or not the following is possible.
>
>Consider a network, with a FreeBSD (probably -stable, but I can use
>- -current if absolutely necessary).  The FreeBSD host has 3 interfaces;
>a regular ethernet interface, and two ISDN terminal adapters, both
>doing ISDN B channel bonding, for a total of 256 Kbps.
>
>Now, what we want is for one half of the external network traffic
>to automatically go up one of the ISDN TAs, and the other half to
>go out of the other TA.  Each TA will have a different IP address
>assigned to it.
>
>I don't think I can do this with regular routing.  Correct me if I'm
>wrong on this, but I'm pretty certain about it.
>
>So I've got the following evil plan in mind.

[... evil plan elided]

Maybe I'm confused, but:

It seems to me that the quick and easy thing to do is to
let ppp (not pppd) handle the TAs as  if they were a
multi-link modem dialup. If I understand correctly, it will
bring up one of the links whenever you have traffic, and
when that link reaches its capacity, it will bring up the
second link and start moving traffic through both of them.
ppp can probably handle your nat requirements as well.

If you need traffic to move both directions at will, i.e.
incoming connections must be able to reach your
network, ppp can be told to always keep the link up.
You may be able to get it to keep one link up at all
times, and the other only when needed (if isdn time
isn't costing anything, then that doesn't really matter,
anyway).

-- Bob

Bob Johnson
Local Network Administrator