Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:52:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        leif@neland.dk (Leif Neland)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: logging incoming calls

Leif Neland wrote:

> > PS I've heard some countries allow an ID Suppressed By Caller facility,
> > it'd be cute if i4b could display a "Suppressed By Caller" rather than the
> > usual "NotAvailable" for such cases,  or maybe it does already ?
>
> If so, I'd like to make the machine hangup the connection after scolding
> the caller for being so rude as to hide the number...

There are valid reasons - even for normal human beings - to suppress one's
caller id.

Consider the following (which occurs frequently here): a technican is
calling a customer from home - in case you _don't_ suppress your caller
id then, the customer has your home number and you can be shure that from
then on he will call you at home if he has problems, no matter if it is
weekends, holidays or at 2 o'clock in the night (now don't misunderstand
me here, my customers have my private telephone number ... ;-) ).

There are several other scenarios where it is acceptable and necessary
to suppress your caller id for privacy reasons. It has nothing to do with
being rude IMHO.

Other than that, here in Germany, calls from analog phones have their
caller id suppressed unless the person owning the analog phone has
explicitely asked for enabling the transmission of his caller id. As
a result, most of the calls from analog phones don't have a caller id
here.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...