Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:10:28 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve: zvols for guest disk - yes or no?

Hi, all,

> Am 16.11.2016 um 18:17 schrieb Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>:
>> http://jrs-s.net/2016/06/16/psa-snapshots-are-better-than-zvols
>=20
> Afaik this is only a problem if you create a reservation for your =
ZVOLs. By default ZFS does create ZVOLs with reservations matching their =
size.

Ah ... of course.

As for the rest of your kind explanation - I'm well aware of that.
If you over-provision, you have to take responsibility and at least
monitor usage closely (Observium, Munin, ...)
Thanks, Jan!

> ZFS saved my bacon more than once. Twice it detected and corrected =
datacorruption on dying hardware in time. With a normal FS both cases =
would have turned into bitrot spreading into the backups until it's too =
late.

Same here. F2or that dedicated hypervisor server I just thought
for a moment I could save some memory.

> Without ZFS you would require a reliable hardware RAID controller (if =
such a magical creature exists) instead (or build a software RAID1+0 =
from gmirror and gstripe). IMO money is better invested into more RAM =
keeping ZFS and the admin happy.

And we always use geom_mirror with UFS ...

Thanks again, will go the ZFS route, set up the system with the
16 GB RAM it has, then upgrade to 32 in a week or two.

The plan is to put around 10 VMs with 2-4 G of configured
memory on that system.

bhyve doesn't do page deduplication like ESXi does, yet - right?

Kind regards,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285