Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:53:46 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Tomer Weller <spud@i.am>, "<ports@freebsd.org>" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE programs won't compile

On 6 Jun 1999, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> >> I can only assume that we install our KDE headers somewhere different than
> >> the developers (primarily on Linux machines).
>
> By default, KDE installs to /usr/local/kde.  On RedHat, the RPM
> installs it to /opt/kde.  All the includes are in
> /usr/local/kde/include, the libs in /usr/local/kde/lib, etc.
>
> >> where the headers are on the FreeBSD machines and then you'll have to
> >> probably add a configure argument like:
> >> 	--with_kde_includes= /some/dir/where/kde/includes/are
>
> Most KDE programs, including the configure scripts, look for the
> KDEDIR environment variable.  I believe that the correct thing to do
> with FreeBSD's KDE install is to set KDEDIR to /usr/local.  I do this
> in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc here.  (I have KDE in
> /usr/local/kde here, too, so I haven't tested it as /usr/local.)

NO!!!! This can't be left to stand so. A port *should* set the KDEDIR to
$PREFIX, not /usr/local. Just maybe I don't have my ports under /usr/local
or have a separate test branch under something else?

> > Yes, for better or for worse (I'd vote for worse), the FreeBSD ports
> > install the kde headers in /usr/local/include.. However a simple
> > --prefix=/usr/local *should* fix any configure problems, and if this
> > is to make it into a FreeBSD port, use --prefix=$(PREFIX).
>
> --prefix specifies where it should install to.  However, this app
> needs to find some 3rd-party include files, so --prefix is not
> appropriate.

--prefix=($PREFIX) is definately appropriate - you signal with $PREFIX
what is the root of your "install to" tree. If you have your ports under
/opt, $PREFIX=/opt -- by default $PREFIX=/usr/local.

> FWIW, I've found that using /usr/local/kde instead of /usr/local has,
> in my case, been most helpful.  I don't advocate it for every tiny
> library, but for something as large and complex as KDE, it works well.

It must definately be used with moderation.

> Cheers,
> joelh
>
> --
> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org
>    Fourth law of programming:
>    Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.