Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 01:56:06 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Chuck <cdc2@csd.uwm.edu>
Cc:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>, Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

Chuck wrote:

> How can you tell the difference between a sloppy admin and one who has
> only been working the field for a few years and hasnt learned all the
> stuff that you have in all your years in it.. Why should we have to spend
> all our time keeping up with things like patches, upgrades, new hardware,
> virus while trying to keep our customer base happy providing 99.99% uptime
> and trying to fend out everyone person (its not just kids) with a computer
> who want to see how much trouble they can cause and either not get caught
> or get caught so they can put it on a job resume that they know how to
> mess up peoples machines.
>
> I run a MS shop and with all that I have to do its impossible to keep up,
> the only thing saving my butt is that MS has only limited release of
> source code so that everyone who knows C cant just browse though and find
> the holes, but even still I dont know when I can go thought a week without
> having problems from somewhere.

Yes, its your job!
You have no right to complain to some kids isp that they cracked your systems
if you didnt even bother securing them!

Companys that have personal data, should be fined if there security is breached
through poor administration... You can make as many laws as you like against
sniffing etc, but it wont slove anything!

Infact I dont even see how anyone could call network scanning a crime...
Its just like knocking on someones door to see if they are home, are we
going to make that a crime as well?