Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:49:20 -0400
From:      Vince Sabio <vince@vjs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports have made me lazy

** At 13:30 -0400 on 10/03/2009, illoai@gmail.com wrote:
>2009/10/3 Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>:
>  > On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Vince Sabio <vince@vjs.org> wrote:
>  >> I need to install zlib (not zlibc), and AFACT it is not included in ports.
>>>  When I look at the zlib web site, I see that there are several (not a lot,
>>>  but several) dependencies for the installation -- and I think, "OH NO, NOT
>>>  DEPENDENCIES!" Or something like that.
>>>
>  >> I blame it on ports. They have made me lazy. I am a victim. ;-)
>  >
>  > They should have meetings once a week or something... :-)

If they had them, I'd be a candidate.

>  >> Anyway, and more to the point, am I missing something? Is zlib really not
>>>  included in ports? If not, is there an automated/semi-automated means of
>>>  installing it -- or am I back to the old days of installing dependencies
>  >> manually?
>  >
>  > I'll assume you mean the zlib compression library.

Yes, that's probably what it is.

>  > I found a few with:
>  >
>  >  cd /usr/ports; make search key="zlib"

Worked for me. Muchas gracias.

>Based on what I read at http://www.zlib.net/
>The latest version (1.2.3) is in base:
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zlib&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.2-RELEASE&format=html
>http://tinyurl.com/yksxt9p

I don't know if I had a screwy install (I wouldn't put it past the
stoopit sysadmin) (oh wait, that's me) or what -- but while I had the
man page for zlib, I apparently it wasn't actually installed. Someone
is trying to install some web-site-management kit on the machine, and
it complained that zlib wasn't installed. Seems to be installed now;
I guess, at some point, I'll find out if the web kit installer is
happy now.

Many thanks for the assistance on this.

Vince Sabio                                                  vince@vjs.org