Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 1996 14:28:19 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), wwong@wiley.csusb.edu, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI A/V drives

In re: Buckaroo Banzai

        I figure Buckaroo Banzai is the official fictional creator of
FreeBSD so this definitely comes under the purview of 'chat'.

> Peter Weller, John Lithgow, and Christopher Lloyd all said they
> were interested in making another movie, and would drop anything
> they were doing to do it.

	Now that's good news.  Of course whether they'd actually do it is
another matter but...

> Apparently, the producer "cooked the books" on the movie, and could
> not go for another movie without opening his crime to scrutiny.
>
> So another movie was never made.

	I heard a different story from a studio rep.  His tale runs like this:
After the picture got the green light but before it was completed there was
an executive shakeup at the studio.  The new head of publicity hated the film.
And, there was a joker in the deck: the surprise sleeper hit of that summer,
"Revenge of the Nerds."  He had all these theater owners calling him (he
said) saying, "Please please please don't take this phenomenal moneymaker
out of our theaters and make us show this weirdo sci-fi film that nobody
wants to see!"

	So he didn't.  Buckaroo Banzai was released in the contractual
minimum of 50 theaters nationwide and was buried by the studio.  The composer
of the film's score was all bent out of shape, because that wonderful tune
over the film's closing credits, THE tune that spells "BB" to everybody, is
the most popular tune he ever wrote, and he couldn't get the rights out of
the studio to release a film score album.

	Of course once those theaters got the film, what they did with it
varied.  In Harvard Square, for example, it ran first run for six months, then
went to a midnight cult slot for about four more, then back to first run.
It was weird at the midnight show as the audience gradually felts its way to
a "Rocky Horror" sensibility, coming up with stock responses to various points
in the film.

Mike O'Brien