Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:52:43 +0100
From:      "Alain Fabry" <alainfabry@belgacom.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   no network connectivity + no mouse recognized

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C19498.976D0A10

All, I'm a beginner installing FreeBSD 4.4-Release.
I've installed this on a machine with dual OS (Win2000 and FreeBSD) and =
I'm encountering 2 problems.

1. For some reason FreeBSD is not recognizing my Microsoft Intellimouse =
on Serial port COM2. When doing the installation I'm provinding all the =
necessary information but still it does not work. Without this I can't =
configure X-server/client. What are some steps I can take to get this to =
work?

2. Another problem I have is that I cannot get a network connection =
going. I've got it connected with a cross cable to another Win2000 =
machine. When I do a ifconfig my ex0 (Intel Etherexpress Pro+) network =
card indicates that it is up. I can ping its own IP address but cannot =
seem to get any further (other machine). The routing seems to be fine =
when I do a netstat -rn. The strange thing I notice is that I don't have =
an entry in my arp table for the other machine. When I have both systems =
running Win2000, my network connection works fine, so I know the cable =
is good and the network card works.
I've tried to manually put the MAC addresses in (arp -s ip MAC) but that =
doesn't work. Another strange thing is that it shows in ifconfig that =
the mac address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff even though it is something =
completely different. Media type is correctly configured.
Please let me know what steps I can take to troubleshoot this system and =
get my mouse and network card to work as they should.
If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
I would give you more detailed information such as the output of =
ifconfig/netstat etc, but I don't know how to get it from that machine =
to this machine. I know a floppy should work but since I'm a beginner I =
don't know yet how to get it to read a dos floppy so I can read it with =
this machine.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks in advance,

Soon to be FreeBSDer (Hopefully)

Alain

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C19498.976D0A10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All, I'm a beginner installing FreeBSD=20
4.4-Release.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've installed this on a machine with =
dual OS=20
(Win2000 and FreeBSD) and I'm encountering 2 problems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. For some reason FreeBSD is not =
recognizing my=20
Microsoft Intellimouse on Serial port COM2. When doing the installation =
I'm=20
provinding all the necessary information but still it does not work. =
Without=20
this I can't configure X-server/client. What are some steps I can take =
to get=20
this to work?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. Another problem I have is that I =
cannot get a=20
network connection going. I've got it connected with a cross cable to =
another=20
Win2000 machine. When I do a ifconfig my ex0 (Intel Etherexpress Pro+) =
network=20
card indicates that it is up. I can ping its own IP address but cannot =
seem to=20
get any further (other machine). The routing seems to be fine when I do =
a=20
netstat -rn. The strange thing I notice is that I don't have an entry in =
my arp=20
table for the other machine. When I have both systems running Win2000, =
my=20
network connection works fine, so I know the cable is good and the =
network card=20
works.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've tried to manually put the MAC =
addresses in=20
(arp -s ip MAC) but that doesn't work. Another strange thing is that it =
shows in=20
ifconfig that the mac address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff even though it is =
something=20
completely different. Media type is correctly configured.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please let me know what steps I can =
take to=20
troubleshoot this system and get my mouse and network card to work as =
they=20
should.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you have any specific questions, =
please let me=20
know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would give you more detailed =
information such as=20
the output of ifconfig/netstat etc, but I don't know how to get it from =
that=20
machine to this machine. I know a floppy should work but since I'm a =
beginner I=20
don't know yet how to get it to read a dos floppy so I can read it with =
this=20
machine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hope to hear from you =
soon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Soon to be FreeBSDer =
(Hopefully)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alain</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C19498.976D0A10--