Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:03:57 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jaime Bozza <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum/softupdates/fsck strange problem

Quoted text incorrectly wrapped.

On Sunday, 15 September 2002 at 13:56:34 -0500, Jaime Bozza wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what happened to cause both of these systems to
>>> reboot, but they were sitting at single user with a softupdate
>>> inconsistency.  The message that came up was:
>>>
>>> 	CG 22: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
>
> Ok, now that I know what the CG means, would it just be a coincidence
> that my cylinders per group (as per a warning with newfs) is also
> 22?

Yes, that's just a coincidence.

> I did a compare with a backup I made of the /var system and there
> was nothing different, so it's still pretty weird.  Either way, I'm
> ok for now, but I'll watch for the error again.  I wish I knew what
> caused the systems to reboot in the first place.

Yes, that would have helped.  That's why I have dumps enabled all the
time, even on production systems.

>>> The only other thing that I noticed on both of these systems was
>>> that vinum was showing the disks as ad0h and ad2h instead of ad0s1h
>>> and ad2s1h.  (The filesystems showed up correctly, though 'vinum ld'
>>> showed 100% free on both drives - rebooting fixed it)
>>
>> Hmm, that's a known problem with Vinum, but only after things have
>> gone wrong at some earlier point.  You should take a look at
>> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and check if you find
>> anything unusual.
>
> Will do.  Like it said though, rebooting made it show the correct
> devices for the drives and I haven't seen the problem since.

Hmm, that does rather suggest a hardware problem, then.  It should
have found the same devices every time.

> I'm building a new system from scratch here though, so I'll see if I
> can simulate some failures (and reboots) to see if I can get a
> similar error.

Would this be an AMD system?  Is it possible that you're having
thermal problems?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.