Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:40:24 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synth status and failure to install some packages

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 20:51, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 17:46, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:
>
> > > What is the current status of ports-mgmt/synth?
>
> > > It seems deprecated by what I see on this emailing list, but I see occasional updates when I update ports tree.
>
> > It's still my favourite ports-builder.. I'll keep using it until it
> > stops working.
>
> > Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
>
> Synth is much faster than portmaster or portupgrade, but one serious downside is failure to install some packages that are built.
>
> I thought I didn't have devel/gperf, then later it occurred to me that synth might have hidden it in the repository without installing it.
>
> Earlier, I thought I didn't have ninja installed but later found it hidden in synth's repository.
>
> Is there any way to make synth install build dependencies?  Gentoo Portage has "--with-bdeps=y".

synth only upgrades existing packages that are on your system, and
makes no assumptions about what the user wants. If you need a tool,
you'll have to install it - at which point it becomes a first-class
installed module (as opposed to those that can be auto-removed), and
synth will upgrade them as required.

This is useful for some of my systems where I don't need the
build-tools, only the end-result package.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>