Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 20:29:00 -0700
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bug in 3c509 driver?

From: Bill Heiser <heiser>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: FreeBSD as a GATEWAY, but NOT a ROUTER
Date: 7 Apr 1995 16:28:58 GMT

I have configured a FreeBSD machine with two 3c509 network cards so that
I can use the machine as a gateway between two networks.  I have NOT
enabled the GATEWAY option in the kernel, because I do NOT want packet
forwarding to take place.  I simply want the machine to be able to
be directly connected to the two networks.

What I am finding is that I can talk to the primary interface,
but not the secondary.  I know both cards work because I have tried
reversing their roles - and both work as the primary interface.
The setup is as follows:

            gateway                isolated host
  ----------XXXXXX-----------------XXXXXXXX
   primary             subnet
   network

When I try to talk to (i.e. Ping) the isolated host, ping tells me that
the remote host is down (i.e. ping returns -1).

Has anyone else configured FreeBSD in this type of arrangement, i.e. has
anyone built a firewall or gateway type of arrangement with this setup?

I have checked the FAQ and found nothing applicable.  It talks about
enabling the GATEWAY option in the kernel, but again, I don't want
packet forwarding to occur between the networks.

Thanks in advance.
Bill