Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 02:10:29 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        kris@gwyneth.gric.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Future of -stable?

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 06:11:44PM -0700, kris@gwyneth.gric.com wrote:
> Here's something I've been wondering about for a bit but I've never really
> gotten a straight answer. Currently I'm using 2.2.7-stable, however I just
> got a new larger drive and I want to install 3.0-beta and follow it
> through release and on into 3.0-stable if possible. Anyhow I've used cvsup
> a lot and I'm wondering once 3.0 is released, will there be a 3.0-stable?
> And does this mean that for a short time there will be a 3.0-stable and a
> 2.2-stable (till 2.2.8 is released). Or will the 3.0.X development still
> be called current?
>
> Mainly what I want to do is install 3.0-beta and keep up with the 3.0.x
> tree from there, preferably a the stable version if possible. Any ideas on
> how/where -stable is going to go?
>
> I'm sure I probably would be more well informed had I been around during
> the 1.0 to 2.0 transition. Any hints or insight would be appreciated. I'm
> subbed to the list so feel free to reply there if you think I'm not the
> only one wondering.TIA

No! You're not the only one! I've been lurking here for months,
understanding very little, too confused to form any sensible
questions, hoping that someone will ask them for me and the answers
will come back in easy-speak.

Your question is one I wanted to ask but didn't know how. There's
always someone else who's at least as confused as you are and dying to
see the answers to your questions.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-