Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 23:46:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dialin PPP

Hello,

I am sorry if I am wasting your time with this, since it is probably some
stupid little file I missed, but I don't know who else to ask, and was
referred here.

I recently purchased a Cyclades 8Yo multiport serial card, and am trying
to set up a terminal server with FreeBSD using mgetty.  I have compiled
the new kernel for the Cyclades card, made the device nodes and have been
successful in getting mgetty compiled and running.  I am at the point now
that if I dial in with a modem under Win95, with a direct connection to
the machine (hyperterminal or even a terminal window using dial-up
networking), I can get a prompt and login with no problem.  When I dial in
using dial-up networking, I bring up a terminal window to see how far I
get.  It connects, negotiates, and goes through the normal login
procedure, and when I choose to have it start the ppp session, it does the
usual verifying username and password and minimizes as if I had acheived a
clean connect.  When I go to do something, such as even pinging the
machine I am dialing into, I get no response...everything just dies right
there.

We have been trying everything we could read and get our hands on, but the
documentation on mgetty isn't too clear (or we just aren't interpreting it
correctly).  I am not sure which files need to be added to and/or modified
anymore.  I was also using as a guideline a page from an ISP in N.Y. who
has the same set up, all working correctly under LINUX.  I wrote him, and
he said I wouldn't have to do anything special, stating that it should run
fine without any extra modification (other than the usual differences in
directory and file names) under BSD.

I have been trying to replicate the 'Working as a PPP server' part of the
handbook with the /etc/ppp/options file, but I really am not too straight
on the way to assign IP Addresses (right now I just want one to work, I am
not worried about assigning multiple dynamic IP's yet).  Mgetty should be
calling pppd automatically, and it seems to, but there is just something
wrong or missing with the config files and there are so many of them that
we don't know what exactly controls what (we have ideas, but it is hard to
narrow things down when there are several files which may or may not have
an affect).

The machine is a 386-DX/33 with 16 Mb of RAM, running FreeBSD
2.2.1-Release, mgetty+sendfax 1.0.0, and pppd 2.2.0.  I have a Cyclades
8Yo 8-port multiport card.  The modem I am using on the sending end is a
USR Sportster 33.6, and the modem on the receiving end is a Boca 28.8,
soon to be replaced with said USR 33.6.

This is most likely a stupid problem, but it is so frustrating when you
know that it partly works...

Thanks.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services