Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 12:00:39 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to understand "proc: table is full" message

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 06:15:20AM -0000, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Hi, I have a PII-333 box with 196MB of RAM and two SCSI disks
> (4GB,8GB) connected to an Adaptec 7880 card. I am running 3.2-STABLE
> cvsupped yesterday and have configured kernel with maxusers 64 and
> nmbclusters 4096. Also, I have set somaxconn to be 256
>
> This machine gets a decent volume of mail and also gets a good traffic
> of web hits to sites which run a lot of CGI programs
>
> I started to see this messages since yesterday
> /kernel: proc: table is full
>
> on the console and in /var/log/messages
>
> Would appreciate if someone could provide pointers on how to interpret
> this message and what parameters I should be tweaking. I am
> considering upgrading the box to 512MB of RAM
>
> Thanks, Yusuf

You need to bounce MAXUSERS.

From the /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_fork.c:
% /*
%  * Although process entries are dynamically created, we still keep
%  * a global limit on the maximum number we will create.  Don't allow
%  * a nonprivileged user to use the last process; don't let root
%  * exceed the limit. The variable nprocs is the current number of
%  * processes, maxproc is the limit.
%  */
% uid = p1->p_cred->p_ruid;
% if ((nprocs >= maxproc - 1 && uid != 0) || nprocs >= maxproc) {
%         tablefull("proc");
%         return (EAGAIN);
% }

The formula for ``maxproc'' is ``maxproc = 20 + 16 * MAXUSERS'',
and is hardcoded in /usr/src/sys/conf/param.c.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank