Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 15:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNAT Ada compiler: chicken & egg?

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.950924132727.486A-100000.kithrup.freebsd.ports@localhost> you write:
> >I'm currently in the process of compiling the GNU/NYU Ada Translator (or
> >GNAT) which sits on top of GCC.  Since GNAT itself is WRITTEN in Ada,
> >it's going to be a tough chicken-and-egg sort of thing:  It looks like
> >I'm going to have to cross-compile GNAT on another machine which already
> >has GNAT (my SPARCstation 20 at work, for example) and then, if all goes
> >well, I'll be able to compile GNAT with itself on my FreeBSD box.
>
> Get the linux version -- we should be able to run that, no?
>
> Sean.

Well, technically, I might be able to run the Linux version of GNAT,
since it only translates Ada to C, but I'm not sure if the existing
version of FreeBSD GCC is smart enought to call the Ada front-end..  I'm
still busy building a FreeBSD cross-compiler on my SPARC, and I'll try to
pursue both possibilities.  Hmmm, your idea just might work, thanks!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL