Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:17:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007151439030.96542-100000@freefall.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: 'make all' in /usr/src is a lot faster than 'make world' since it
: deliberately doesn't do any dependency building or ordering, etc. But
: listen to me when I tell you not to report errors if you use this - you
: are on your own!

Actually, I'd say that one should *NEVER*[1] use make all in /usr/src.
You build against the installed headers, which is wrong in many
cases.  It doesn't work when depends change (and they change more
often than you might think).  It doesn't work when new interfaces are
added to libc.  make buildworld gets all this right.  Use -DNOCLEAN if
you want faster on a machine you've already built the world on.

Warner

[1] I could list the conditions under which it is safe, but they
change often enough to label this an extreme experts only option.