Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:40:07 +0200
From:      Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz@luna.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Apr 04, 1997 at 05:55:14AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > 	Hmm, besides not being an Intel, what is the main differences
> > between the AMD and the Intel?
>
> Geeze, Vince, you're doing it again - asking everyone here questions
> you could easily find out for yourself.  VISIT THE FRIGGIN' AMD WEB
> SITE ALREADY! :-)
>
> You're filling up my mailbox with this "daddy, why is the sky blue?"
> line of questioning! :)

Well, that's easy Jordan :)

   The sky's blueness is due to a litany of factors. The most important
   of these are a phenomenon known as scattering, our atmosphere's
   composition, and the sun's spectral output.

   Scattering, simply defined, is when light hitting a volume of air is
   reflected out of the air, as opposed to being absorbed or just passing
   through. The light bounces off of individual air particles in random
   directions, scattering, and making that air appear the color of the
   light being scattered. Preferential light scattering means that some
   colors of light scatter better, while other colors tend only to pass
   through.

   Lord Rayleigh, a 19th century British physicist, first explained
   preferential light scattering. (Sir Isaac Newton first established the
   phenomenon's existence.) Common air particle diameters are 1 micron
   (micrometer), .1 micron, and .01 micron. (Keep this in mind when
   reading the following statement.) "Rayleigh's Law indicates that the
   light energy scattered per unit volume of air containing particles
   smaller than .1 micron is inversely proportional to the 4th power of
   the wavelength of the illuminating radiation (Schaeffer 155)":

                lambda 14E1scattered = lambda 24E2scattered

   More simply stated, the amount of light that bounces around in our air
   increases as the wavelength (which is related to color) of the light
   decreases. Below are some common wavelengths of light and their
   perceived colors.

                              COLOR       WAVELENGTH (In um)
                              UV          0.30-
                              violet      0.40
                              blue        0.45
                              green       0.50
                              red         0.60+
                              IR          1.0++

                              wavelength chart

   Applying Rayleigh's Law, consider the scattering of red and blue
   light. Plugging into the equation blue light, with a common wavelength
   of .45m, and red light, with .75m being common, we get a ratio between
   the scattering of the two of (.44)-1:(.74)-1, or about 10:1. This
   means that if a volume of air is lit by blue and red light
   simultaneously, the amount of blue light scattered (reflected) to the
   eye will overpower the red by a factor of ten, effectively drowning
   out the latter. (See illustration next page.)

   Lastly, the sun's spectral output has a significant effect on the
   sky's color. ". . . Almost the whole of the sun's output is in waves
   of length between .17 microns and 4 microns. . . . The maximum
   intensity of sunlight is in radiation of wavelength about .5 microns.
   The human eye responds only to waves between .4 and .7 microns, so
   that the peak intensity occurs in the middle of the visible range, the
   blue-green part of the solar spectrum (Sutton 7). . . ." Taking into
   account that the sun's brightest light is blue-green, blue's
   preferential scattering is magnified.

   What would make the sky other colors, and when? Several key factors
   might turn its color, including more or less atmosphere, changes in
   the sun, more dust content, and more water vapor.

   First, consider the normal changes you see in the sky's color
   everyday. ". . . When the sun's rays come more slantingly through the
   layers of the atmosphere [at sunrise or sunset], othersred, orange,
   yellow, greenare scattered at the horizon (Stetson). . . ." More
   atmosphere would tend to reduce this effect, while less atmosphere
   would make those bands wider. Also, the albedo ("... The fraction of
   the solar radiation that is reflected [back] . . ." (Neiburger 56))
   would vary with the amount of atmosphere. If the atmosphere was
   thicker, more light would be reflected back into space, making the sky
   darker; if it was thinner, more light would be allowed in, resulting
   in a brighter sky. This factor is not likely to change, however, as no
   credible proposal for any significant change in atmospheric volume has
   been proposed.

   Eventually, the sun will degenerate into a white dwarf, at which point
   its energy output will drop steadily until it becomes a black dwarf,
   giving off no energy. Though neither will occur for billions of years
   to come, these two events will put a serious damper on the blueness of
   the sky.

   Realistically, we are having the greater effect on color changes. The
   sky is whiter with increased dust content, and other pollution makes
   it both whiter and more like the color of the pollution.

     . . . Small particles like molecules scatter a larger proportion of
     the short-wave radiation, the blue and violet light, than the
     longer-wave yellow and red light. That is the reason the sky is
     blue in the absence of haze or smog. Haze, fog, and smog contain
     larger particles, which scatter more nearly equally in all
     wavelengths. When they are present, the sky tends to be white,
     particularly near the horizon, except when smog with absorptive
     properties gives it a yellow or brownish color. (Neiburger 56)

   A large asteroid colliding with the earth could stir up enough dust to
   occult the sky (as has been proposed to have caused the dinosaurs'
   fate). Also, widespread nuclear war, accompanied with widespread
   fallout, might alter the sky's color. The biggest contributor to this
   factor right now, though, is pollution, which tints the skies above
   industrial centers around the world.

   A rise in the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would both make
   the sky whiter and more prone to rainbows. ". . . Humid air and bright
   sunlight sometimes break up into all colors to form a rainbow"
   (Stetson). If global warming turns out to be an actual issue, and the
   conjecture concerning melting polar caps is true, then the water
   content of our atmosphere would increase greatly, and the sky's color
   would probably change as just described.

   Would plants and humans survive if it (the sky) were a different
   color? Yes and no.

   The temperature prerequisites for global warming and increasing water
   vapor (the White Sky problem) pose problems in themselves, numerous
   problems about which books have been written. These temperatures would
   have to being going up at least several degrees, which could have many
   devastating effects. For now, suffice it to say that ". . . The water
   vapor in the air is . . . all-important for the maintenance of surface
   temperature (Sutton 17). . . ."

   Plants require only respiration (and water) to live. Plants do,
   however, need light to grow. If the sunlight were blocked (the Black
   Sky problem), new plants could not grow, and the old ones that die
   would not be replaced. Additionally, some plants incorporate infrared
   or ultraviolet color schemes into their patterns to attract insects
   and promote pollination. If the sky passed no IR or UV rays to them
   (the No-IR/UV Sky problem), they could not reflect these colors and
   perform those functions. Luckily, none of these cataclysmic
   possibilities seems likely.

   Lastly, and most importantly, is the occurrence of skin cancer in
   humans (the Too-Much-UV Sky problem). Tied in loosely with global
   warming, ". . . Ozone is opaque to all solar radiation of wavelength
   less than .3 microns, and no ultraviolet light of wavelength shorter
   than this is received at sea level (Sutton 9). . . ." If too much
   ozone is depleted, or people spend too much time on the beach,
   entering UV rays can cause skin cancer, the most prevalent cancer
   among U.S. men and women ("Cancer"). "Only about half of the output of
   the sun can be seen by us, but we feel the radiation in the solar beam
   over a much wider range of wavelength" (Sutton 7).

   Why did God make the sky blue? The factorsour planet's position, our
   atmosphere's composition, preferential scattering, our sun's output,
   our eye's spectrum, our oceans' regulation, etc.balance perfectly to
   land blue as the color. The possibilities of it being any other color
   and working correctly are remote. The manner in which the sky is blue
   is very important to our survival. Is this all just coincidence, or
   does all this point to His divine hand? Why is the sky blue? He simply
   made it that way; everyone knows that blue is the ideal color.

                                Works Cited

   "Cancer (disease)." The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia.
   1992 ed.

   Neiburger, Morris, et al. Understanding Our Atmospheric Environment.
   San Francisco: W.H. Freeman and Company

   Schaeffer, Vincent J. and John A. Day. A Field Guide to the
   Atmosphere. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1981.

   Stetson, Harlan T. "Atmosphere." The New Book of Popular Science, vol.
   2. 1988 ed.

   Sutton, O.G. The Challenge of the Atmosphere. New York: Harper &
   Brothers, 1961.

------

Copyright 1996, by Chris Campbell <ccampbell@tng.net>. All rights reserved.
http://www.spacecoast.net/users/dcampbell/chris/whyblue.htm