Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:01:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Non-network Fatal Trap 12

Hello all,

Today I cannot boot into my machine with either kernel or kernel.old.  Both
panic after trying to mount the filesystems.  "kernel.old" is a generic kernel,
but "kernel" is a generic kernel from 11/12 source.  Neither kernel is a debug
kernel.  This panic does not seem to relate to the one posted earlier (fatal
trap 12 resulting from network access) as it happens at different places with
different programs during init scripts execution.  Each of these kernels worked
well until this morning (after a clean shutdown last night).

Thoughts or requests for more information welcome.  One of the many attempts to
start the kernel is below. A guess as to the root of the trouble is filesystem
corruption (softupdates + deffered fsck checking).

Galen

forgive this as it was copied by hand from the console

fault virtual address = 0x1
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc02b5baf
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xcadc3d48
frame pointer         = 0x10:0xbfbfadb4
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1
current proccess      = 56 (sysctl)
trap number           = 12