Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:44:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

In message <200006201708.KAA87060@apollo.backplane.com> Matthew Dillon writes:
:     I now have mutexes 99% working in an SP build.   I will be making
:     SP (single processor) patch sets available tonight or tomorrow
:     morning.  (99% == I can boot the machine normally but after a
:     while it locks up due to an interrupt nesting issue which I haven't
:     dealt with yet).

May I request that you don't check in the new MP core until the SP
issues have been resolved?  I don't care if the MP boxes have major
pain after the commit date (that's rather the point of all the new MP
work), but have some serious issues if the SP boxes have major pain.
It wasn't clear from the orignial message if the major pain and
bleeding is for all users, or just MP users.

It would be extremely hard to make forward progress on anything while
the pain is there.  For a few days or even a couple of weeks this
would be OK, but for months that is not acceptible to me.  I'm trying
to get NEWCARD finished, as well as start the cardbus work and those
two projects are being done in -current.  There's no pain to
non-laptop users (in fact, there's currently no pain to laptop users
that use the old system).  It is extremely desirable to have the
current tree buildable and stable for SP machines during this
transition.

Please note, this isn't an attempt to disparage your work, or to try
to get overly in the way of it.  I'm merely trying to keep the SP
world relatively stable while the MP work is going on.  Ther'es a 6
year tradition of having -current be basically usable for developers
to develop in that I'd like to continue.

Warner