Date:      24 Aug 2000 12:53:02 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   Re: docs/20028: ASCII docs should reflect <emphasis> tags in the source

>>>>> "BD" == Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:

 [ About making <emphasis> some kind of visible emphasis in text-only
   output ]

 BD> I've looked into this a little today.  It looks like creating a patch
 BD> which accomplishes this is pretty easy, but there are a few hoops to
 BD> jump though.  First, w3m delibratly doesn't support <i> tags at all.
 BD> It parses them, but throws them out.  This could be corrected if we
 BD> wanted to do so.  What is supported is <strong> which maps to <em> which
 BD> *blah* when -dump is specified.  There's a good chance this is the wrong
 BD> way to do this, but it works for me.  How would people suggest I
 BD> proceed?  Should I implement Nik's suggestion of <b>bold</b> -> *bold*
 BD> and <i>italics</i> -> /italics/ or just what?  My concern about Nik's
 BD> suggesion is that <B> is used in a number of places including FAQ
 BD> Query's which I think it will look silly.  I'm kinda thinking the right
 BD> thing to do may be to change the style sheets to translate <emphasis> to
 BD> <em> and only dealing with <em> in w3m.

Well, *foo* looks like bold to some, but isn't, really. Same goes for
/bar/ ...   So, while I'm in favor of <strong>foo</strong> -> *foo*
be ignored when font controll isn't availible.

Also, you may want to make it possible to disable this stuff in
certain tags, for example, if you have an example command line that
looks like:

  % *rm* /junk/

... then there is bound to be some questions about that ... :-)

That said, I agree with the basic suggestion that it would be nice to
have e.g. <emphasis> render visibly in plain text.

--
Rasmus Kaj ------------------------ rasmus@kaj.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
 \                                       If you're happy, you're successful