Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:48:36 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        John Robert LoVerso <john@loverso.southborough.ma.us>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some woes about rc.conf.site

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 12:41:17PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, John Robert LoVerso wrote:
> > Or type "vi /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.site" and then hit ":N" to split
> > the screen into two sessions, one in /etc/rc.conf and one in /etc/rc.conf.site.
> > Use ^W to toggle between the the split screens.

Ok, thanks, could do that. Then it would be nice, if Jordan could
actually kind of sort things, so that it's easier to configure
options in rc.conf.site.

> > IMNO (not that it matters!), I'd prefer rc.conf to go away and be replaced
> > by a SVR4-like "/etc/rc.init.d" with start and stop scripts.  While I
> > hated initially back in '92 when it was first inflicted upon, I find it
> > much more useful than a single rc.conf file.  Especially when adding in
> > optional packages.
>
> When I last did SVR4 admin, with ESIX, I kind of liked that.  Now I'm in
> the midst of getting used to Solaris7 (which I stuck on the new machine,
> to give me broader experience) and I have to say, the extreme
> balkanization of the startup and shutdown scripts is disheartening.
> It's no doubt a wonderful thing for the folks who write GUIs to manage
> it, but I only like GUIs that are tightly under control (for years, I
> wouldn't touch GUIs at all).  The extreme splitting up of the scripts is
> horrible for someone who wants to tweak scripts.

Agreed. I like our way more, since renaming or deleting startup scripts
to disable things isn't very comfortable. And you have to be very very
careful about the design of the start and stop scripts ...

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?