Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:50:06 +0200
From:      Gianmarco <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        Benedikt Stockebrand <me@benedikt-stockebrand.de>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Siemens-Fujitsu LB 6120 and Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 19:13, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Hi Gianmarco,
>
> Gianmarco <gmarco@giovannelli.it> writes:
> > 1) It is full of stickers "Designed for Windows XP" and "Centrino", which
> > I really was unable to remove. I really don't know which kind of fucking
> > glue they have used ... any suggestions is welcome :-)
>
> Put FreeBSD stickers on top:-)

Yes, probably, because they are really damned "sticky" :-)
I tried also with hot air, but with very disappointed results (at least for
the keyboard, which has been changed after , because it "fuses" the keys
toghter :-)

Now I ask myself... I really should be paid for this by M$ to have its
"Designed for Windows XP"  everywhere ?

> > 2) The serious problem :-) seems to be the internal wifi card which seems
> > to me be a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 accordingly to the docs.
>
> Unless things have changed recently, the network card in all Centrino
> systems is not supported by any free OS.  Allegedly it is basically a
> fully software controllable radio transmitter/receiver so all national
> radio regulations have to be implemented in the driver.  Since Intel
> doesn't want to get in trouble selling illegal products they don't
> publish the specs and generally have a problem with open source
> drivers (which would provide the basis for some reverse engineering
> that might lead to legal problems).
>
> So don't hold your breath waiting for a functional driver.  Instead,
> get a supported WLAN card if you need to.

I see ... I found a lot of links on the web for this iussue... thanks for the
input. Infact, right now I use the old goldie netgear card... :-)

Thanks for the kind answer Ben.