Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:20:36 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dinosaur ? Unicast : Multicast ;-)

> I have a certain bit of experience with commercial multicast services,
> and the problem isn't technology- it's a business/financial problem.  How
> do you deploy a service/capability so that you can survive it's
> success?  Yes, we technologist can all dismiss this unclean consideration,
> but if you can't afford to operate it, then you better not start.

Hmm... What I envision (I am not a marketing type) is that a large ISP could
provide multimedia content along the lines of a model similar to such as
a TV Channel --  that is you can charge for advertisement , charge
for distributing media, and charge the viewer or client to access your
network. What is needed is the ability to block unathorized viewers 8)

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com