Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 21:32:52 -0700
From:      Tom Proett <proett@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@teal.csn.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>, hardware@freebsd.org, proett@nas.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> also, I seem to remember seeing an ad recently for a WIDE SCSI drive
> that claimed to do internal head stripping allowing it to approach
> a sustained 20 MB transfer rate on the SCSI bus.  anyone know what
> drive this was, I can't recall... (old age is a terrible thing!)

There is an IBM drive I saw advertised awhile ago which was wide
scsi and had two HDA's acting as a single device.  It did it's
own head stripping and got upwards of 6Mb/s as I recall.  The
drives only spin at 5400rpm so data comes off each head at about
3Mb/s.  When they make a new one with 7200rpm drives you might
get close to 10Mb/s sustained.

Tom