Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:27:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux ext2 fs support changes in -stable

>From dcs@newsguy.com  Wed Mar 22 20:35:12 2000
>Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:31:51 +0900
>CC: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: Linux ext2 fs support changes in -stable
>
>Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> Somewhat all-of-a-sudden, I am unable to r/w mount a Linux ext2
>> filesystem on the same hdd with my BSD.  I get in my syslog (&
>> on console):
>> /kernel:  WARNING: R/W mount of dev 0xe040a denied due to
>>     unsupported optional features
>
>This is telling you that this file system has features (put in
>the by a recent version of Linux, most likely) which our ext2fs
>code does not understand. Since we don't understand it, allowing
>a R/W mount is dangerous.

Makes sense...  Interesting that this does not happen on my other
hdd; I bet I made those filesystems under a previous Linux version...

>You can read more about this using the cvsweb to check the commit
>logs for the ext2fs files. This was bde's (Bruce Evans) changes.
>
>I can see the point in wanting to force a R/W mount, on the
>grounds that you know more about your setup than the software
>does (which is the whole point of the software denying you R/W
>access in the first place :), but you'll need to convince Bruce,
>not me, of that.
>
>Convincing Bruce is easy, as long as he agrees with you to begin
>with.  If he doesn't...

I must assume that Bruce had Good Reason for changing this behavior...

>--
>Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
>dcs@newsguy.com
>dcs@freebsd.org
>capo@zurichgnomes.bsdconspiracy.net

I hope this is "temporary" & gets "fixed" soon; I've found
*BSD's support of ext2 to be much more reliable than Linux's
support for ufs...

-kc