Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:59:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zip drive and parallel port in NIBBLE mode hang the machine

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My system is too old to have anything other then "Compatable" and
> "Bi-directional" modes for the parallel port. Both of this are recognized
> as NIBBLE-only by ppc0.
>
> When I try to cp a big file (Wordperfect distribution) onto a Zip
> cartridge (with ufs with softupdates) the whole system becomes "jerky"
> and soon hangs -- I can still go from one virtual console to another,
> but can not do anything and need cold reboot.
>
> I used to be able to use the drive during Autumn (although I only
> used msdos-formatted cartridges). Any ideas? Thanks!

try searching the lists, my suggestion is to compile like so:

controller  ppc0  at isa? disable port ? tty irq 7

change to:

controller  ppc0  at isa? disable port ? cam irq 7

you may also want to try 'bio' it's been explained on the lists and i'm
unsure.

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current