Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 04:53:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.w8hd.org>
To:        Rob Mallory <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Arcive Viper QIC150 and tar

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Rob Mallory wrote:

> I just plugged a borrowed-from-a-Sun 1/4" tape drive, and have a couple
> questions:
>
> (using a 6150 tape and archive viper ((known rougue??? huh?)))

I dont' know why it is that, when the machine boots with this drive
attached it declares the drive a 'known rougue device' ..maybe they've
been known to try to hack into your machine :)

> -dump works, but dump 0budfs 126 1000 /dev/rst0 700 /dev/sd0a
>  wants to put it on two tapes! dump uf /dev/rst0 works.
>
> -can I use any longer tapes reliably?

If you specify a block length of 'way too many' like 50,000 it depends upon
the drive's end-of-tape sense to determine when the tape is full. This
will result in full cartridge utilization.
Of course its a hack but it 'works for me'

regards
kim

--
kimc@w8hd.org