Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:59:08 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "James Tapping" <james@fr.clara.net>, "Adam Kranzel" <adam@alameda.edu>
Cc:        <newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup Questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Tapping" <james@fr.clara.net>
To: "Adam Kranzel" <adam@alameda.edu>
Cc: <newbies@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 5:32 PM

> I have managed to get it ok, I am still a bit confused about when
the
> actual updates of ports are or can be done. I updated proftpd for
> example. With Make deinstall make install (and a make clean
somewhere) is
> there not a update everything button :-) I come from the debian
world :-)

There is, it's just a quite freaky button.

Issue a 'pkg_version -cl'<' | grep -v echo | grep -v exit | sh' as
root. This queries the package database (which includes installed
ports), returns all necessary commands for upgrading those ports which
are not up to date, and pipes the output to sh. Result: All ports &
packages which are newer than the ones installed get rebuilt and
installed. See http://www.freebsddiary.org/pkg_version.html for
details.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock