Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:09:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave <dloose@WPI.EDU>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   No /usr/ports directory?

Hello all,

I just installed FreeBSD because my friend recommended it.  I have a very
little bit of experience with Linux, but I thought I'd give FreeBSD a shot
anyway.

I installed version 4.1.1-Release and found that my video card wasn't
supported by XFree86.  Since my video card is pretty new (GeForce2 GTS) I
decided to look on deja.com to see if anyone else had trouble.  Sure
enough, they did.  One person suggested that I go to the directory
/usr/ports/X11/XFree86-4 (or something like that) and type "make patch".

When I tried this, though, I found that I didn't have a /usr/ports
directory.  The more I read, the more it seemed that I should have one.  I
mean, how can the ports system work without a ports directory?

So, am I just a stupid newbie, or is something wrong with my installation?

Thanks a lot,

Dave