Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:27:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 09:53:37PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>>> I do not remember.  We used it in several Z-80 MP machines we built.
>>> That was way before 8" drives, before any PC.  The machine was an S-100
>>> multi-processor.  Maybe the fact that we used the first US shipment of
>>> 64kbit DRAM on that machine will give you a clue.
>>> Micropolis was experimenting with 8" drives about a year later.
>>
>> Sounds like about 1980.
>
> Yeah.  I remember getting 8K SRAMS for my H-8, and sellcing rows of 16K
> DRAMs for Apple ][s.  64K DRAMs?  This guy was *spoiled*!  ;^)

Oh, we're me-tooing, are we?  I just found my first computer out in
the shed while I was looking for something useful.  20 years and a
couple of months old, Z-80 with 2 2112 static RAM chips.  Remember
them?  4x256 bits.  The whole machine had 256 bytes, so I wire-wrapped
a 4K board, but could only afford 8 2102s.  Then I moved to S-100,
because Bill Godbout was offering 8 K memory boards at prices I could
only dream about in Germany.

Greg