Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:10:38 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Joel N. Weber II wrote:

>    Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 12:47:34 -0700
>    From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
>
>    Does anyone out there know or have the source for a netscape plugin?
>
> Incidentally, don't think that you're going to get plugin functionality
> in E-scape.  The unavalibility of source for plugins makes me uninterested
> in supporting them.  However, I'll be happy to merge Shockwave and
> RealAudio into the main E-scape sources if you can give me the source
> and there are clearly no potential copyright or patent problems.

Heh... I really doubt you will have the chanche...

> (IMHO, plugins allow you to do some of the things you could do if
> you actually had the source, in a way that requires more work for everyone.)

No. The idea of the plug-ins is that they are not merged into the main
source. You don't care about a certain type of media, you don't install
the plug-in.

> Are there more than a half dozen plugins out there which
> are truely useful?  Is there anything other than Shockwave
> and RealAudio that are really useful?

There are several - the video plug-ins, the vrml plug-ins, the acrobat
amber plug-in, etc. They *are* useful.

Actually, there is another very imporatnt thing with the plug-ins. One
does not have to exists at the time the browser is made to be used. There
are currently no MP3 plugins. But should some arrive some time in the
future, I will be able to use it. The same holds true for all other types
of media/scripting (like the tcl plugin, I am 100% sure it is possible to
make a lisp/scheme/guile/whatever plug-in).

Plug-ins bring the user *a lot* of freedom and possibilities they would
not have otherwise.

	Sander