Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:00:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        jkf@calweb.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: router/bridge question

> > rest of the internet. I would like to split the inside network into two
> > segments and have the gateway bridge the two inside segments, in addition to
> > Any help/comments/pointers much appriciated.
>
> Buy an inexpensive 4- or 8-port ethernet switch, and put your FreeBSD
> router on a switch port, with each of your two new "subnets" uplinked
> into other switch ports.  You won't have to partition your addresses
> or any other silly admin headaches.

while i agree that given the budget one can use a switch, i want to
point out that:
 + the additional cost for the original solution is just one more
   ethernet card;
 + even by dedicating a full machine to the task,
   a real switch (not a hub) might probably cost as much as a
   leftover pentium machine with 2-3 ethernet boards;
 + most "inexpensive" switches come with UTP connectors, sothe original
   poster might have to put in additional UTP<->BNC adapters.

and finally:

 + bridging in FreeBSD is real bridging -- you don't have to partition
   addresses or admin/configure anything for the bridging part.

not to mention that you can make use of firewall and dummynet at the
bridging level.

> Never use software to solve a hardware problem.  ;^)

and, i hope you are aware that a switch, unlike a hub is not a "pure"
hardware device, but there is software running on it to handle
forwarding, manage queues etc.

	luigi