Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 11:54:23 -0500
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and K6-2's

Hi,
  I've had great luck running 3.1-RELEASE through 3.2-RELEASE.  It has been
blazingly fast (K6-2 300 about as fast compiling as a Pentium II 350).  I
am also running XFree86 3.3.3.1 with a Millenium G200 16MB SG video card
and all is working great.  I use the Epox 51MVP3E-M ATX motherboard and
have only good things to say about it.  I haven't had a crash yet (except
when I tried to use the 686 CPU instead of 586 in the kernel config :). ).
Say, is there a reason that the AMD chip isn't considered a 686??  Does it
not contain certain instructions that are required for 686 compliance??

Thanks,
Ben Gavin

At 10:01 PM 5/20/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm thinking of upgrading my old P133 FreeBSD machine with a new
>Motherboard, RAM and an AMD K6-2 350.  They're less than 60 bucks now. :)
>I'm thinking about 64 megs of RAM minimum, maybe more depending on my
>budget.  I have a Win95 machine running on an ASUS P5A motherboard which
>seems really nice.  Thinking of getting another just the same, or maybe an
>ASUS P5A-B which is pretty much the same but it's baby AT size.  I plan to
>use the machine as a X Workstation, HTTP-FTP-TELNET server, NATD Gateway,
>and SAMBA server.  I really don't want to spend more than 300 bucks for
>Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Case (if neccessary).
>
>My questions are:
>
>1.)  Does FreeBSD and AMD K6-2 350 make a good combination as far as
>performance, speed, and stability goes?
>
>2.)  Other than ASUS motherboards, what would be another good choice for a
>low cost FreeBSD Workstation/Server?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Joey

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant