Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:20:29 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on root with dedupe

On Apr 22, 2023, at 1:52 PM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> On 4/22/23 17:46, Paul Mather wrote:
>=20
>> Deduplication is a per-fileset option
>=20
> Oh!
> I always thought it was a per-pool setting!!!
> Did it change, perhaps after the switch to OpenZFS?

I believe it has always been a per-fileset property.  I think it is seen =
as a "per-pool" setting because of the performance impact it can have on =
the entire pool by enabling it on a fileset.

(
> In fact the handbook says:
>=20
>> To activate deduplication, set the dedup property on the target pool:
>> # zfs set dedup=3Don pool
>=20
> Isn't this incoherent?
> I mean:
> zfs set ... *dataset*
> *zpool* set ... pool
>=20
> Should it be corrected?

The handbook appears out of date in this case.  Even the example, as you =
point out, is confusing because it references a zfs(8) command, which =
acts upon filesets.

For 13-STABLE (and the most recent 13.2-RELEASE), the zfsconcepts(7) and =
zfsprops(7) manual pages both refer to deduplication being enabled for a =
"file system" or "dataset".  The zfsprops(7) manual page includes the =
"dedup" property in per-fileset (or dataset as the manual page calls it) =
properties: "Configures deduplication for a dataset."  The =
zfsconcepts(7) manual page states, "If a file system has the dedup =
property enabled, duplicate data blocks are removed synchronously."  I =
interpret "file system" to be the same as fileset/dataset.  These are =
fileset/dataset properties, not pool properties.

It's difficult to keep the FreeBSD Handbook accurate because it =
potentially covers many simultaneous supported versions of FreeBSD.  I =
always treat the manual pages for an installed FreeBSD version to be =
more accurate than the Handbook.

Cheers,

Paul.