Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:26:56 -0500
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        Stefan Farrenkopf <sfarren@gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware 5

On 9/14/05, Stefan Farrenkopf <sfarren@gwdg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> will there be a vmware port with version 4 or 5 some day or is there=20
> another possibility to run these versions with with FreeBSD 5.4?
=20
I thought (though could be wrong) that there was work that had gotten
4 close to working, but it seems unlikely (imho) that either will be
up-and-running soon.  Is there some feature missing from vmware3 that
you need?

> I have found some discussion about qemu, but I did not really understand =
if
>=20
> this helps to use the more recent vmware versions or if it just replaces=
=20
> vmware. Can anyone point me to a good starting point for reading about th=
is
>=20
> technology?

qemu.org is the home-page.  It can work like vmware though by default
does much more (processor emulation!!!)

> I tested CrossOver Office on my linux box and it's far away from being a=
=20
> replacement for the vmware solution.
>=20
> In my opinion the newer versions should be availalbe, because it's hard t=
o=20
> swith to FreeBSD, if you do not own an old vmware license.

That's probably something to talk to the vmware people about.  Freebsd
could always use a little more attention from software vendors.

--=20
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.