Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 10:53:05 -0700
From:      Jerry Nairn <jpnairn@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvsweb options forms

Suggestion for the cvsweb TODO list:

o Make sense out of all of the cvsweb options forms. The division of
options into different sections is quizzical.
  In a directory listing window, you have:
    "General options" form containing options for:
      Sorting and displaying files:
        sort criteria, case sensitivity, hide/show Attic
      Sort criteria for log entries
      Diff format selection
      Show/Do not show line numbers in markup view
    If it has files in it*, there is a form to select:
      "Show only" tag (here it says this is for files)
      Module path or alias
  In a file log window, you have:
    Diff request form
    Log view options form to select:
      Preferred diff type, same as Diff format above
      View only branch, same as "Show only" above, BUT lists only branches.
        However, other tags can be inherited from "Show only" form.
        These tags of course, do not appear selected in this window.
      Sort criteria for log entries

The options are useful, but the presentation is muddled. Currently
they are sometimes in an unnamed section, sometimes in "General
options," and sometimes in "Log view options." It would be better to
just call them all "Options."
The caption on the diff type and the tag selection should not change
between windows. They are the same options, called by different names.

I feel that the fact that you can view a file's log and not see all of
the entries even when nothing is selected in the "View only..." list
is a bug.

(* I've modified my copy of cvs web to always show the "Show only" tag
selection menu and the "Module path or alias" text box. I did that so
that in addition to the "Go" button, I could have a link to a "Module
diff" cgi I've written. It may not be ready for primetime, but I will
send it to you if you want an example of one way to skin that cat. At
some point I hope to integrate it better into cvsweb.)

Jerry Nairn