Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:21:36 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc startup question

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com> writes:
>
> > With snmpd for example, would I add something like
> >
> > /usr/local/sbin/snmpd
> >
> > to rc.conf, or am I way off track? This probly seems like a really
>
> The question has already been answered, but as a slight digression,
> you should never put *anything* in rc.conf except for variable
> definitions.  This point is made in the man page for rc.conf, although
> apparently not obviously enough.
>
> rc.conf is included a number of times, by a number of different
> startup scripts, and so any actual commands you want to run will be
> run many times, not just once.  And not just at boot time, either.

Interestingly enough, it was noting these facts in the man pages and
everything else I could find on the subject that made me post the
question rather than simply trying something that instinct told me
wouldn't work like I wanted. Apparently I simply didn't dig quite far
enough. I was on the right track ( I knew I needed an rc.something, just
not what or where) but the existance of /usr/local/etc/rc.d was
completely unknown to me. Not enough digging. Now everything makes
perfect sense (at least til the next time I get confused). Thanks again
to those who responded.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator