Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:06:02 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1-BETA2 installation on ASUS P4S8X fails BIG MEDIUM ERROR

Christoph Kukulies schrieb:
> Hi Al,
>
> thanks for pointing me to safe mode install. That I will probably try
> tomorrow.
> The day ended up in havoc: I tried to boot a floppy to do an ASUS BIOS
> upgrade and somehow messed with the power cable.
> A big flash occurred originating from the power supply. I opened the
> power supply, found a blown fuse, ran to the electronics store, bought
> a new fuse (+ one in reserve), inserted the fuse, tried the power
> supply, with connections off and a firework, prematurely - your
> presidential elections aren't finished yet - , developed in front of
> my face. Will continue tomorrow, when America has a new president.

Back at the problem: I chose 3. safe mode to no avail. Still get this

acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config

I even changed the CDROM drive to a very old slow one. I changes IDE
busses (first vs. second IDE) to no avail.
I'm now gonna burn another medium. No luck yet installing 7.1 BETA2. I'm
also a long time FreeBSD user btw,
from times where it was called "386bsd" :-)

--
Christoph